What ZephyrBird thinks
Life According to Zephyr

Photoblogs.org

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Saturday, December 30, 2006


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usDBC Friday night: Generally I enjoy my Friday nights out at Drew's Blues Cafe and the blues jam. But last night it was all very strange. So, as my mother always taught me, if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all. I will say I didn't like the new set up of half the players turning their backs to the patrons. That is what we would call a closed session. You see only the backs of some and they are blocking off other musicians. It's a message saying we are here to play for ourselves and if you want to listen go ahead, but you aren't invited to the party. Generally the music gets the patrons involved and it's fun. Last night was not fun. (The only way to get a picture of most of the group was to stand in the kitchen door).

Also, I will answer here one last time as to why I don't get up and perform with the band, since music is my background and I have performed in the past. Because I've been there, done that, and the magic will never be the same. Now I just want to sit and listen and enjoy watching others perform. I enjoy doing the open mic poetry nights, but for now that's as far as I want to go. I do enjoy seeing my friends up there having fun and experiencing what I had for so many years. Yes, it was good when I did it, but I'm ready to move on.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usSo my final thought, after all this is what ZephyrBird thinks - when there are a lot of musicians like last night do what was done previously. Spread them around the walls of the restaurant! Everyone gets to see and HEAR! Yes, you do miss a lot when the backs are turned. I never heard a bass line at all and others all we got was reverb that wasn't very pleasant. Part of the music experience, when you go to see a group or band perform, is hearing them but the other part is seeing them. From where the patrons, who came to enjoy the music sat, we didn't get it. Just my humble opinion.


Comments: Post a Comment

Home