What ZephyrBird thinks
Life According to Zephyr

Photoblogs.org

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Friday, October 20, 2006


Open Mic Night rocked last night!!! Totally! It was probably the most awesome night we have had since the conception of our open night poetry nights here in Sumter. When we (yes my husband actually went last night) got to Drew's Blues and time was moving on I got worried no one was going to show. But one young man had signed up and I had my guest poet, so the show would go on...next thing I know people are arriving in droves and some are even signing to read.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usA funny and fun note is one of the teachers from Morris came to watch and when she and her husband walked in I said, "I know him!" I couldn't remember from where but I knew I knew him. Finally it came out he worked at Carolina Tech and I said...Mr. M&M's! I reminded him (Tom Rowe) I worked at the canteen there for awhile, and I remembered every day he would come in for a bag of M&M's. Then one day he said his wife told him he was getting too fat so he had to cut back on the M&M's and could only have them once a week. The thing is I didn't realize, at the time, that I KNEW his wife from Morris College! It turned out he is a poet, also, and he was inspired while there and wrote two poems, sitting at the table! that he shared during the open mic rotations.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usOur guest poet, KiKi (Sheklia) Baccus was awesome! I knew she would be good, but the confidence and pose and general attitude she showed brought a life to her poems that got everyones attention. Her first poem was one about herself to give the audience an idea of who she is as a person. Of her other poems was a very touching tribute to a friend, who's friend killed himself on his birthday. She ended with a poem of why she writes. Everyone enjoyed her and I received a lot of comments on how well she did.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usNow, what I wrote yesterday about being blown away so completely I forgot to do somethings. The first poet after KiKi was a young man, I had never seen before, named Develon Douglas. You had to hear him and listen to his words and his presentation to understand why it took me time to recover each time after he got up to perform. We used to say he blew me away! He knocked my socks off! Well, he did it all! So, I apologize, but by the time I recovered from his words I had forgotten to take pictures of most of the poets last night. Thank goodness I have archives!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usMichele Reese, PhD had the honor of following this young man, and as my husband said, she had such a sense of self and confidence she didn't let him overshadow her and her performance and poems were strong and meaningful. So much so, he is considering going back next month when she will be the guest poet. (archive photo)



Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usWe were all getting worried Colette wouldn't make it last night! She had a rough week with some personal family issues. But, she got there! And the applause when I said Colette's here! was great! She was as entertaining as ever and took us on a rollercoaster ride of emotions. She did one called WHOEVER HE MAY BE that took us from rolling on the floor laughing to serious and thoughtful. Colette has an energy that fills the room and we always look forward to hearing what she has to offer each open mic night. (archive photo)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usAnd I was getting worried Sunida York wouldn't show up last night. I have been wanting to ask her to be a guest poet but she disappears before I can get to her, after each open mic. So when she came up last night and asked how one became a guest poet I had to laugh! I told her I had been wanting to talk to her about just that very thing, so we got together BEFORE the open mic this time and she will be guest poet for December. To learn more about Sunida check out her website.

My other poets for last night were:
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Marie Grady, who has such a presence about her I feel as if I'm in the presence of royalty when she stands up to read. You know what I mean! You've seen people who carry themselves so well you know there's something different and special about them. Her poems are always inspired and she is such a joy to listen to.

So, I thank everyone who came last night! I feel so lucky to have such a loyal group who never disappoint me with their poems and presentations. I applaud each who got up and read or performed their poetry and hope you will forgive me. I do hope Mr. Douglas comes back, and now that I have heard him hope I will be able to keep a presence of mind and remember my duties as host and get those pictures taken!

Oh, and if you want to read the X-rated math poem I performed last night, that had people cracking up and yelling out "yeah"! go to the link for my poems.


Comments: Post a Comment

Home