What ZephyrBird thinks
Life According to Zephyr

Photoblogs.org

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Saturday, May 13, 2006


10 things that remind you of your mother:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usMy mom is in her 80's and in spite of a few heart attacks and skin cancer she manages to still do the holiday dinners. I'm in a different state but I call her every weekend and we laugh about getting older. I do miss the family holidays.

1. Roses - my mom loves roses and had them growing in our backyard, in spite of the fact we lived behind a foundry!

2. Vegetable gardens - especially the taste of fresh picked tomatoes - see number 1 and number 8.

3. Bing Crosby singing Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ra (That's an Irish Lullaby) - my mom loved Bing Crosby and cried when he died.

4. Meatloaf and for once I don't mean the singer! My mom made and probably still makes the best meatloaf around!

5. Christmas - my mom loves the holidays, but especially Christmas and as poor as we were she always managed to make it seem special and magical. She would bake cookies and hide them on us - in room we called the cold room. Yeah, they were really hidden, uh huh.

6. Seeing the movie Singing In The Rain with Gene Kelly and Donold O'Connor.

7. The smell of lilacs always remind me of my mom. Our backyard was full of them.

8. Fried green tomatoes! My mom loves fried green tomatoes BUT when she eats them she breaks out and her face swells up...every summer she would vow not to eat any and every summer she would just HAVE to HAVE a fried green tomato sandwich and yep... she would break out and swell up!

Of course, when the book Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe came out I HAD to buy it for her!

9. Reading the book A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - my mom had a stash of books secreted away on the shelf in her closet. She told us we couldn't read them because they were for grown ups. So, of course we read them. She had others but the one that affected me the most and that I still reread from time to time is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. By telling us we couldn't read them she got us curious enough to read them and I developed my love of books because of that little ploy.

10. Going bowling and the scents and sounds of bowling alleys - my mom and I bowled on the same league for years so every time I enter a bowling alley,I am reminded of those great times. Of course, I was their handicap because all of them had averages over 200 and mine was only 130. Without me the other teams beat them on their handicaps - so my mom asked me to join their team and even though I was a youngster in my 20's and they were all old ladies (like about the age I am now!) it was a lot of fun.


Comments: Post a Comment

Home