What ZephyrBird thinks
Life According to Zephyr

Photoblogs.org

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Tuesday, October 04, 2005


HUH?? Last week I went to Voc/Rehab here to see if they could help me get a job, since my arthritis is considered a disability. One of the first things I was asked was why I didn't apply for disability... fast forward to today.... one of the places she sent me when I explained I wanted to work not collect a disability check was to Job Services. They have a program called Experience Works and it's to help people 55 and over find employment and put their experience to work. I had an appt. to see the woman who heads it up and went in this morning. Well, she informs me this is for low income families only...since my husband is employed he would have to make $16,000 or less a year for me to be eligible.... UNLESS I went on disability and then she could help me. She explained if I went on disability then I would be considered a one person family and my disability income would be the only income that counted. HUH??? Right now I have 0 income - zilch - nada!! but if I have an income from disability then I would be considered for the program. I am still trying to figure that one out.

But, I have issues with people telling me to apply for disability. Yes, I have a disability but I am not disabled. See, I have a friend named Rick whom I have known since we were 15. Rick was born with spina-bifida and his back is mishapen, his legs never grew and he has a lot of health issues due to this. Rick had a band in the 60's and 70's called the Electric Zoo. He plays rhythmn and bass guitar, keyboards, sings and writes his own songs. He got around in his wheelchair better than most people who have the use of both legs. He worked in customer service because you could sit all day and just help people over the phone. When I got divorced and we were both in our 50's we started a music promotion company to fulfill a childhood dream of ours. A few years ago Rick could no longer sit comfortably for 8 hours a day and is now on oxygen 24/7 and is now collecting disability. So, I have a hard time thinking I deserve disability when I can walk, I can type, I can sit in a chair 8 hours a day and do the customer service work we both did in Florida and I also did in PA. There is a difference between having a disability and being disabled.

I know people who are more disabled than Rick will ever be and it isn't a physical disability but a disability of character, morals, judgement, etc. They are crippled in their minds and therefor mentally disabled. But, for people to tell me to get on disability irks me. If I have to I guess I will have to, but I am going to explore all other avenues first and somewhere there is a job out there with my name on it. Somewhere there is someone out there who will look at me as a viable person with a lot to contribute yet to the workforce and say, yes, we want you. Somewhere out there someone will look at me as a person and not a disability. They will not see my mishapen fingers, not care that I limp with pain some days and that other days the pain is so bad I have to drag my left leg along...They will only care that my mind is sharp and I am a hard worker who gives 100% to the job. Until that day... the hunt continues.


Comments: Post a Comment

Home