What ZephyrBird thinks
Life According to Zephyr

Photoblogs.org

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Tuesday, May 03, 2005


For this month's Blogging for Books, write an original blog post about one of three topics: lying, fornicating, or going home. I know everyone who knows me would have expected me to choose fornicating. Instead I have chosen Going Home as my topic. Following is my entry.

Going Home!

Corners! I live in corners. When I first moved here my husband was already ensconced in his apartment. When I walked in I wondered where I would fit and after three years find I still don’t. Wall to wall shelves of videos take up more space than my books, which are allotted to a bookcase behind the loveseat. I sit now typing, on my computer, stuffed and crammed into the back of the kitchen, behind a table which I must walk around each time I want to work here.

Corners! I live in corners. My husbands huge television on an even bigger table, surrounded by three VHS players and two DVD players has more priority and space in the living room than I have. His chair sits facing the television and he surrounds himself with his movie books and videos. My small Queen Anne style chair sits in a corner between yet another shelf of videos, the love seat, and a table crammed and overflowing with his stuff. My husband loves me, of this I have no doubt, but he has lived alone too long and sometimes I think I also live in a corner in his heart. A cozy corner, but a corner all the same.

Corners! I live in corners. In the bedroom my side of the bed is closest to the wall and I must move sideways to get in and out. Beside it I have a small bookcase on which I keep my audio tapes and a small tape player. These are my company when I awake in the middle of the night and can’t get back to sleep, because his cats are taking up more space on my bed than me.

Corners! I will no longer live in corners. We have found a house to rent. Somewhere in the three bedrooms, one and a half baths, living room, kitchen with a separate area for the table, and large den I will find space for me. I will finally move out of my corners and I will be going home. I will be going to our home, not his home, and there will be space for me to breathe and say, I have finally come home again.


Comments: Post a Comment

Home