What ZephyrBird thinks
Life According to Zephyr

Photoblogs.org

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Tuesday, November 02, 2004


Deny me my right to vote? I think not! When I got to my voting precinct this morning, even though I had my voter registration card in hand with the Black River Civic Center Folsum Park as my voting precinct I was told my name was not on the roster and I was at the wrong place to vote. I told them to read my card, this was where I voted last election, and it is where I am to vote. The told me I could do a provisional ballot. I told them no way! I said, "they aren't counted until after the election is over, correct?" The two people who were trying to deny me my right to vote shrugged their shoulders and said that was my problem. I told them, no, it was there problem. The man told me to go sit off to the side and he would see what he could do. The woman, snottily, came over and told me I would have to to go the court house and see if I could find out what had happened and they would tell me where I was supposed to vote. I explained again I was to vote right there. She said then I would have to use the provisional ballot and refused to help me. The man said he had been trying to contact the court house for two hours because others were having issues also but he couldn't get through and made what looked like an effort to get through and then told me to go to the court house myself. I refused. The woman came over and started snapping at me that it would be easier if I did it myself. I told her easier on her, but I was there to vote now. She told me I could sit there until 4 PM and maybe she could get the court house for me then. I blew!!!

I stood up and hollered across the room. Everyone looked and everyone listened. I said, "I AM AN AMERICAN CITIZEN. I AM A REGISTERED VOTER AND AM REGISTERED TO VOTE AT THIS PRECINCT. DUE TO AN ERROR ON THEIR PART THE CANNOT FIND ME ON THE BALLOT AND ARE TRYING TO DENY ME MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO VOTE BY REGULAR BALLOT."

An elderly couple were also being denied and she said let me see your card. She verified the information for everyone listening and the people running the shindig were looking horrified. I thought they were looking for Michael Moore and the hidden cameras. I started once again..."IF YOU WERE GIVEN A PROVISIONAL BALLOT AND YOU KNOW YOU ARE REGISTERED TO VOTE DON'T USE THE BALLOT AND YOUR VOTE WILL NOT COUNT. DEMAND YOUR RIGHT TO A REGULAR BALLOT."

Darned, if that guy didn't dial the court house and lo and behold! he got through first try. They had changed my name!! My voter registration is under Johnson but they had listed me as Rivas on the roster! Another friends husbands address was changed and they told him he would have to go clear across town to vote. We called the voter complaint line and left our complaints.

Another friend said she doubted there was a conspiracy because I am a democrat and the man is a republican. I said we don't register our party, but they are profiling. I am hispanic, he is on disability. Two groups who would normally vote democratic. Anyway.... I fought for my rights and I won. Remember your voice is the most powerful weapon you have right now.


Comments: Post a Comment

Home