What ZephyrBird thinks
Life According to Zephyr

Photoblogs.org

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Monday, November 08, 2004


Chalk: I went to buy more chalk for my husband, who is an associate professor of math at a local college. When paying I said in passing, to the cashier, how I thought it was unfair teachers have to buy their own supplies. She shrugged nonchalantly and replied in a snotty tone that all teachers had to buy their own supplies. I said, hmmmm, but doesn't it seem unfair that teachers, who have one of the most important jobs out there (teaching your children) and are also one of the lowest paid should have to buy their own supplies? She reiterated her last remark about all teachers having to do it. So, why not other professions I asked? Would it be fair for cashiers such as yourself to have to buy your own cash register tape in order to perform your job? Would it be fair for bus drivers to have to buy their own gas? Or secretaries having to buy their own ink cartridges, paper, and such? She looked at me as if I were crazy and said that was different, because all teachers have to buy their own supplies. Hmmmmmmmm... so if suddenly all businesses started making their employees buy their own supplies I wonder how long people would accept it and not stand up and say, Hey! this is wrong! But hey, it's only the teachers who have to do it and since ALL teacher have to, it's okay. Any comments?


Comments: Post a Comment

Home