What ZephyrBird thinks
Life According to Zephyr

Photoblogs.org

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Tuesday, March 30, 2004


Mr. Peabody's Way Back Machine: Well, not really way back, but my sister Victoria reminded me of that recently, so it seemed an appropriate title for this blog. Recently, on Ebay my husband won an auction on some 1961 newspapers. Okay, not that far way back, but way back enough. We got them because it had Kennedy's First Hundred Days, The Cuban Crisis and some other historical issues. So, I read through the papers reliving the past when I came upon the classifieds. Talk about culture shock! What I hadn't remembered was the separation of employment. The listings were under Female and Male! Okay, not such a shock back then, but I had actually forgotten that. Under Female it had listings for waitress, secretary, housekeeper, bookkeeper, filing, etc. Under Male the first category was Manager, and also under Male were things like Machine Operator, Driver, Accountant, (Note: women were bookkeepers, men were accountants). For those of you who entered the scene after the Women's Liberation Movement, I just thought you might find this interesting and for those of us who lived in those times, maybe a reminder of what used to be.


Comments: Post a Comment

Home