What ZephyrBird thinks
Life According to Zephyr

Photoblogs.org

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Tuesday, June 03, 2003


MY PARENTS DREAMS
by Bonnie Johnson
Edited by renowned poet Victoria Rivas
(thanks Vic for making a good poem a great poem)

My father dreamed an artists life,
creations of his mind and soul.
Those shapes and colors, his design,
were what he felt would make him whole.
My mother did not dream
my father’s dreams.

My mother dreamed a wealthy life,
far from poverty and strife,
a splendid home with perfect kids.
A life of leisure, rich man’s wife.
My father did not dream
my mother’s dreams.

The dreams were lost, forgotten as
the children came along. They tried
but time just passed so quick, too quick.
The bills got large, then Lydia died.
and sorrow, pain interred
my parents dreams.

First Linda married, Bonnie too.
Then Vinny went to ‘Nam, to war
Victoria went to college. Joe
just left. The dreams were dead, no more
was hope. My mother wept
my parents dreams.

My father, old, with anger black,
survived his factory worker life.
My mother, old and bitter, hate
at ending up a poor man’s wife.
Neither cared about, dreamed
the other’s dreams.

My father dreams an artists life,
creations of his mind and soul.
My mother dreams a richer life,
with all the things to make her whole,
They do not talk, nor share
each others dreams


Comments: Post a Comment

Home